Sunday, October 16, 2011

why i love aluminum foil

On weekends, Audrey and I usually play it by ear as far as plans go, but for the most part, we like to lay low and stay at home and relax. This is mostly because of our schedules during the week, which don't really allow us to spend a lot of time together to just hang out and relax. This past Saturday we stayed at home, except for about two hours to go to wrship practice at chrch for Sunday's service, and to go buy some groceries. We had talked about it, and decided that I'd be cooking Puerto Rican food, as Audrey loves it (and I was kinda craving it, too).




This is what the end result looks like

Anyway, as I was cooking the PR-style beef steak this time, I got burned really bad. The reason for this was because we don't really have a lid for our frying pan, so we use the only metal bowl that can actually cover the pan.

 

 
The culprit

If you've never gotten burned before, it hurts. It really hurts. The problem isn't so much the initial burn (although that's pretty bad on its own), but the burning pain you get just a couple of seconds after taking your fingers away from the cool running water, ice, or whatever you're using to soothe the pain. In my case, I let my fingers rest on the cold water jar, but once we finished dinner, I kept them in water, which seemed to help. After some minutes of pain (during dinner) I decided I'd google to see if there were any home remedies to help with my problem. It turns out, aluminum foil helps with burns. I don't know exactly, but it has something to do with making your skin sweat, which helps the burn (the sodium in your sweat is what helps, supposedly). I read many stories, and people would say that wrapping the burn in foil would still make it hurt badly for 5-10 minutes, but then the pain would go away. So, I decided to give it a try:

 

 
Best home remedy ever.

Sure enough, it worked. After about 20 minutes, the pain was gone. I was able to take the foil off, and enjoy the rest of my evening. Now, my fingers still look ugly (huge blisters showed up), but I'm pain-free and on the way to recovery.

 

Aluminum foil. Who would've thought.

1 comment:

  1. Pedro! Your poor finger! :( I'm glad the foil helped! I've never heard that before, but I'll remember it next time there is a kitchen accident!

    ReplyDelete