
Growing up, Pedro did not experience something most American children do... eating a peanut butter & jelly sandwich.
This summer when Pedro came to Washington, he tried his very first PB & J.
He said he was curious "what all the hype was about." When he was taking those first few bites, his face wasn't expressing exuberant joy or life-changing bliss, so I wasn't sure if he was too impressed. But the next day, he wanted another one for lunch...and the next day for breakfast-toasted....and the next day for breakfast AND lunch....!
Now here we are in Vietnam, getting used to how to shop and cook with the foods we have available to us here (we're really trying not to eat out, but cook at home to make the most of the money we have). There are more fresh foods, and less options of what we can keep in the cupboard or fridge for more than a few days before it spoils.
Peanut butter is available to buy here. At the supermarket,
there's creamy, chunky, with sugar or without. We'd been
buying the "creamy without sugar" kind, but then I found it
for sale at the market in a plastic bag: creamy with no sugar.

We've also found some cute, small (210 gram) jars of strawberry jam, which we cracked open after finishing the container of strawberry preserves from Vietnam.

I'm really not a fan of PB & J's, but I couldn't be a happier new wife than to make my husband something he LOVES and that is incredibly easy for me to prepare (and I can't do anything, that I can think of, to make it taste bad, hehe).
Haha! I'm glad Pedro likes them! I heard of one person who really liked putting their PB&Js in a George Foreman and grilling them up like a grilled cheese! Melty peanut butter anyone? :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, Peanut butter is my favorite word in Spanish. Mantequilla de cacahuate!
Hmm, that sounds pretty good actually. I hope I remember that when we're back in the States :)
ReplyDeleteMmm...grilled cheese "makes my mouth wah-tuh" (name that commercial)!
ReplyDelete